OSSS: Security Suite v1.4
31 December, 2009
Happy New Year!
Our team is happy to wish you good luck in the upcoming 2010 year. We develop one of the most advanced products in the field of information security, and its boost evolvement would be impossible without your help. Thank you for the support and inspiration you bring to us. In 2010 we are going to significantly speed up the development and implement a number of approaches that have not been implemented in any existing product yet.
This December, our team has worked hard for more than three weeks to complete the next version by the New Year. Thanks to cooperative effort, we managed to release OSSS v1.4 at two o’clock in the morning, December 31. The main features of version 1.4 are new system security regulations, the Russian localization of all the OSSS components, and introducing new groups for most widely used applications. Below are most significant OSSS v1.4 improvements:
- Control over DDE interaction. Implementation of this rule prevents most popular Web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox) against being misused by malware for illegal transfer of user private data.
- Control over unauthorized restart or shutdown of a Windows. Now your computer can be shutdowned and rebooted by authorized applications only.
- A new DNS query control rule prevents undetected personal data theft via DNS service.
- The rule for process termination control has been significantly elaborated. New control methods ensure defense against most intricate malware.
- Control over RAW-socket data transfer has been considerably improved.
- In return to numerous requests, wildcards are supported in all the rules where processes are treated as objects. Now you can use the “*” or “?” characters in rule definitions to indicate the required number of any characters in process names.
- Processing the OSSS configuration file has been significantly reworked which allows considerably speeding up the workflow and minimize the use of resources.
Besides expanding the functionality, we are continuously improving the user interface and introducing more and more features that simplify the use of the program. Below if a list of version 1.4 specific features:
- Active network connections and processes tabs have been expanded with the new functions for process termination and moving to the group of trusted or blocked applications. The possibility to suppress a process network access until being restarted has been implemented.
- With the growing popularity of our product, the set of programs applied by our users gets wider and wider. That is why version 1.4 features predefined groups for most widely used applications (such as instant messengers, download managers, and others). Now upon requires from an trusted application you can rapidly add it to the corresponding group without having to create any rules. Our specialists have already created the required predefined rules for you!
- Temporary protection suspend has been implemented. This functionality may be helpful during installation of trusted system software.
- Another small but highly significant change is support of job-file analysis and creation of the corresponding rules by the Security Master.
As promised in the beginning of the December, we have translated the antiviral OSAM: Autorun Manager module, the hosts-file editing module OSHE: Hosts Editor, and the predefined rules’ creation module Security Master into Russian. Our technologies and infrastructure allow for localizing our product into all the existing languages. We reckon on your contribution in translating our products into a number of languages in 2010.
Besides all the numerous improvements, we are continuing our research in the field of low-level cross-process interaction. We hope that our hard work has brought fruitful results that you will find in version 1.5.
Happy New Year! We are sure, 2010 will bring you luck and security.
Best wishes, Online Solutions Team.